Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a global leader in providing emergency relief, rehabilitation, post conflict development, human rights protection, resettlement services and advocacy for refugees and other uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is committed to restoring hope, freedom, dignity, and self-reliance.
The ICT for Emergencies lab supports IRC’s emergency programs by applying innovative uses of technology that directly help beneficiaries and improve program quality and delivery.
The ICT Web Designer will support the team by generating materials to improve the UI and UX produced by the lab. The Designer will also be responsible for maintaining a portfolio of graphic assets to be disseminated in print, via the web or through social media.
The ICT Web Designer will report directly to the Software Development Lead, based in Serbia, and work closely with the ICT Project Manager, based in Serbia, and the Emergency Technology Solutions Architect, based in NY.
• Design and assist the development of the Lab’s external website
• Design assets for applications (e.g. buttons, menus, iconography, etc.)
• Design printed materials (e.g. user manuals, posters, stickers, etc.)
• Generate generic CSS style sheets to be used by the developers
• Create printed materials for distribution to promote the work of the lab
Other duties as assigned by the Software Development Lead.
• Bachelor's degree in design-related field, or equivalent work experience
• 3+ years experience
• Basic experience with HTML
• Solid CSS experience
• Familiarity with current and emerging technologies, from responsive design to D3
• Expertise on software design (Photoshop, Illustrator) and familiarity with other Adobe Creative Suite tools (e.g. Edge, Captivate, Fireworks)
• Experience with web graphic design and web user interface design
• Self-starter – must be productive with minimal direction and flexible to sudden changes in requirements
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and travel as required to project field sites
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; demonstrated ability to successfully work in a fast-paced environment within and across departments/functions/geographic locations, and develop positive relationships with locally and remote based staff
• Excellent spoken and written English
• Sass or Less experience
• Intermediate to advanced knowledge of HTML
• Online portfolio
• Send us the latest version of your resume, along with links to portfolio any work samples
• Interviewing will be done over Skype calls